Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sweet Potato Puffs


Sweet potato puffs
Originally uploaded by thatgirljj
Good morning, a happy new year to you and a happy Whole30 to me. I'm starting off the morning with a cup of coffee (black, natch) and these awesome sweet potato puffs. Looks are deceiving, these are not really pancakes, if you bite into them expecting something pancake-y you'll be sad. They're really more of a savory fritter.

Don't use a nut flour here, use minced or crushed nuts, they add a nice crunchy texture. Or leave them out completely if you want a silky smooth puff.

Sweet Potato Puffs


Serves 1, double as needed

1 egg
1/2 of a previously baked sweet potato
1 tablespoon minced or crushed pecans
Coconut oil

Scoop all the innards out of your sweet potato and mash them up in a small bowl. Crack an egg in and whip it up to combine evenly with the mashed sweet potato. Stir in the nuts. Add the coconut oil to a heavy pan over medium heat, and fry small scoops of the batter till crispy. Turn over halfway though. They're pretty squishy, so you may need to use a fork on one side and the spatula on the other to flip them.

Sodium: 100mg

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I make these often with butternut squash...I sometimes add some chopped scallions and crushed red pepper. I have some leftover sweet potatoes in the fridge that will be perfect for this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look really good, Ill give them a go tomorrow :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I have made these using a banana instead of a sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made them and they are awesome! I am thinking of things I can add to make them more savory and interesting. Pancetta? Mushrooms? Onion? The sky is the limit! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet pancetta would be a good add (not for me because of the sky high sodium). But more veggies I think would detract from the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had these this morning and felt like I was cheating on my whole30. So yummy! My family, however, did not like them. So I just said, "More for me!".

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family and I really liked these! So simple yet so good! My husband and daughter ate them with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this on Pinterest and just tried them this morning! Delish! Add some unsweetened coconut and might sprinkle in some cinnamon next time. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing! I can't stop making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete