Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Month of Pastured Chickens...

This post is mostly to wrap up links to this month's chicken adventure for Food Renegade's Fight Back Fridays, but also to take a moment to talk about what my adventure in sustainable meats has meant to my family, namely my husband. (Scroll down if you just want to read about the chickens.)

Now my husband eats badly. He'd be the first person to admit that to you. It's not that he eats the worst of the standard american diet, but there are a lot of potato chips, white bread & lunch meat and not much in the way of veggies. He's made some efforts to improve it in the last few years, but he doesn't seem to engage with his food in the same way I do. And frankly, it's easier to just go with the flow and eat prepackaged sandwiches than search out better quality food. So what does this have to do with chickens, wild salmon and grass fed beef? Apparently everything! You see, I pointed him to a recent study about the health risks of processed meats and it really seemed to get him thinking. As we've been talking about pastured chickens and grass fed beef, it's really seemed to click with him. And then I got it... meat makes sense to him. He can talk in a more sophisticated way about meat quality simply because he's thought more about meat than he's ever thought about veggies. Veggies are what sits on the side of the dish, meat is his main course (most of the time). So meat quality matters in his world, much more than it ever did in mine. That was a really new thing for me to realize about him.

OK.... onto the links:

I am a Food RENEGADE!

3 comments:

  1. How interesting! It's always neat to see what finally "clicks" for certain people.

    Thanks for joining in the Fight Back Friday fun.

    ~KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K is starting to think the same way. I want to join the poultry CSA, but he has an aversion to meat with bones in it, so I'm guessing that I would have to roast it and then break it down so he's not weirded out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude... Suz, what is up with him??? An aversion to meat with bones? He's a grown man, not a 6 year old!

    ReplyDelete