Saturday, May 8, 2010

What's the point...

So if I'm so gung-ho about meal planning, well then why am I blogging about it?

Well, for several months I've been trying to figure out if I want to join a local chicken CSA (community supported agriculture program). They've got truly free range chickens, humanely raised, and I hear they're pretty tasty too. My big drawback? Well, you get three whole chickens on your doorstep once a month and you gotta figure out what to do with them. Even though I know how to roast a whole chicken, the idea of dealing with a whole chicken every week is daunting. It's not like picking up a pack of boneless, skinless breasts. I've decided to go for it, but it shakes up my meal planning a bit, because I actually need to plan for how I'm going to cook a whole chicken and what I'm going to do with the leftovers.

While I'm at it, I decided to just go ahead and do a bulk order of some sustainably fished, low mercury, canned wild salmon and tuna. So if this works for us, it's going to swing my family's meat consumption dramatically away from industrial farmed animals. But it's going to require me to up my game on the meal planning front.

Some worthwhile articles:
CHOW: Tips for responsible carnivores
Which meat harms our planet the least?

1 comment:

  1. I love whole chickens! I usually roast it whole and then we have roast chicken one night, and then I take all the chicken off the bones (you can use the rest for stock if you'd like - if there's not enough that all freezes for when you have more bones) and then I've got meat for all kinds of other meals from sandwiches to tacos to whatever I'd put chicken in :) Can't wait to read more of your new blog!

    ReplyDelete